One of the features I like the most about my new app Paperless List is the chrome-to-phone functionality. It was also one of the simplest features to implement. In Android 2.2 (Froyo) Cloud to Device Messaging (C2DM) was added. This allows cloud services to push notifications or data down to an Android 2.2 phone. Shortly after the first Froyo build was released, chrome-to-phone appeared to allow links to be sent from a PC browser down to a phone running Froyo over the air. When sent to the phone website links opened the browser, Google Maps links opened the Android Google Maps app and Youtube links opened the Youtube app. Now Tesco.com links open Paperless List and add items to the shopping list.
- Android 2.2 phone e.g. Nexus One
- Google Chrome 4.0 and above or Firefox 3.0 and above on Windows/Mac/Linux
1. Download Paperless List from the Android Market
2. Download and install the chrome-to-phone Chrome plugin and companion Android app from here. If you are using Firefox then download the Send To Phone plugin from here. The Android app will require you to enable installation from “Unknown sources” in application settings.
3. Run the chrome to phone app on the phone and register your device.
4. Go to Tesco.com in Chrome, click on groceries and login to your account. If you don’t have an account, sign up for one. It doesn’t take long.
5. Navigate Tesco.com and find a product page like this one for milk.
6. Click on the chrome-to-phone icon in Chrome to send the product to your Paperless List. The first time you do this in your browser session it will require you to sign into Google. After sign in go back to the tab with Tesco.com open and click on the icon again to send the link.
7. After a short delay your phone will make the default notification sound and a pop-up will appear asking you to select the Browser or Paperless List:
8. If preferred check the “Use by default” box to automatically add things to your shopping list in future. Tap the Paperless List option.
9. Paperless List will start and retrieve the product details from the Tesco.com API
10. Once the details are retrieved the product is automatically added to your list and of course updates the total cost:
11. Repeat steps 5 to 10 to build a complete shopping list over the air. It also works for the Tesco.com search results page by making Paperless List execute a search with the same keywords.
Unfortunately, at the time of this post only the Nexus One has an official Android 2.2 build that supports C2DM. Hopefully more devices will get updated to Android 2.2 soon.