I’ve been developing an Android widget over the past few days. It uses the Google Reader API to find the number of unread items in Google Reader. It also displays the most recent unread item time. Get it here.
After installation go to your home screen, press Menu, Add, then Widgets and it should be in the list.
- Android 1.5 (cupcake)
- Google Reader Account
- Install applications from unknown sources enabled (in SettingsApplications)
- Compact 1×1 cell size
- Automatic authorization against Google Reader API (no username and password required)
- Configurable update period from 10 mins to 24 hours
- Most recent unread item time displayed
- Touch or click on it to launch Google Reader browser window
Give it a try. I might even upload it to the market. The reason its called “ReaderWidgetSmall” is because I’m planning on creating larger versions that show more info about what’s new in your Google Reader feeds.